Senior Counsel, Commercial and Product
BitGo is the leader in digital asset financial services, providing institutional investors with liquidity, custody, and security solutions. Founded in 2013, BitGo pioneered the multi-signature wallet and is the first digital asset company to focus exclusively on serving institutional clients. Active in both centralized and decentralized finance, BitGo offers market leading trading, lending, and borrowing services through its prime brokerage services and acts as the custodian for WBTC, the leading global stablecoin for Bitcoin. In 2020, BitGo launched BitGo Portfolio and Tax, providing clients with a full-stack solution for digital assets. In 2018, it launched BitGo Trust Company, the first qualified custodian purpose-built for storing digital assets. BitGo processes approximately 20% of all global Bitcoin transactions, and supports over 600 coins and tokens. BitGo provides the security and operational backbone for more than 1500 institutional clients in 50 countries, including many regulated entities and the world’s top cryptocurrency exchanges and platforms. BitGo is backed by Goldman Sachs, Craft Ventures, Digital Currency Group, DRW, Galaxy Digital Ventures, Redpoint Ventures, and Valor Equity Partners.
We are seeking a proficient contracts lawyer who is inquisitive, creative and practical. This lawyer would be a demonstrated self-starter who is now looking for an environment to learn and to practice law on the cutting edge of digital assets and blockchain technology. This is a great opportunity for a lawyer who looks to grow.
You would own responsibilities that may include:
- Negotiating BitGo standard form agreements relating to digital asset custody, consulting services, non-disclosure, trading and lending, staking and/or escrow.
- Drafting and negotiating bespoke agreements and amendments including with respect to partnerships, marketing activities, conferences and the like.
- Drafting terms and use and disclaimers.
- Working closely with product and regulatory lawyers, and partnering across BitGo functions including sales, trust company, prime services, compliance, product development and marketing.
- Supporting litigation and subpoena responses.
- Supporting production of due diligence responses.
- Researching laws and regulations relating to digital assets and commercial matters, and delivering actionable summaries.
- Managing legal and regulatory risks in a thoughtful and commercially practicable manner.
- Helping develop and drive legal contracting process and operations including with respect to workflows, customer contracting lifecycle, pipeline management and document retention.
- Supporting corporate governance.
- Escalating issues to senior team members as appropriate.
- Pitching in whenever and wherever needed, even when not directly related to responsibilities described above.
Who we are looking for:
- 2-6 years of related law firm and/or in-house legal experience at a financial services or crypto company, ideally involving customer-facing sales, trading and/or custody.
- A strong understanding of how service levels, warranties, limitations of liability and indemnities are used in contracts, and how they are used to allocate risks associated with a business arrangement.
- An understanding of intellectual property licensing, digital asset reviews, escrow arrangements and/or trading and lending businesses.
- Ability to balance multiple tasks in accordance with changing deadlines and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Interest in blockchain and digital assets.
You will be collegial and (at least usually) able to retain a sense of humor.
Why Join BitGo?
Disrupting an industry takes vision, innovation, passion, technical chops, drive to deliver, collaboration, and execution. Join a team of great people who strive for excellence and personify our corporate values of ownership, craftsmanship, and open communication. We are looking for new colleagues who bring innovative ways of thinking and problem solving, and who want risks to be part of the team that changes the world’s financial markets.
Here are some of the benefits of working at BitGo:
- Competitive base salary, bonus and stock options
- 100% company paid health insurance for employee, spouse/partner and children (medical, vision, dental, life, FSA, HSA)
- 401k company match up to 5%
- Computer equipment and workplace furniture to suit your needs
- Generous paid time off
- Great colleagues and inspiring startup environment
Cryptocurrencies are the most disruptive change the financial services industry has seen in years. Join us and you’ll be able to look back and say you were part of the team that transformed this industry.
Pay Transparency Notice: Depending upon your leveling and location, the compensation for this role averages between $150,000 - $200,000 USD base salary. Equity, an annual performance bonus and the benefits outlined below are also a part of this role's package.
Something looks off?