IT Internal Controls and SOX Compliance Manager
Circle is a financial technology company at the epicenter of the emerging internet of money, where value can finally travel like other digital data — globally, nearly instantly and less expensively than legacy settlement systems. This ground-breaking new internet layer opens up previously unimaginable possibilities for payments, commerce and markets that can help raise global economic prosperity and enhance inclusion. Our infrastructure – including USDC, a blockchain-based dollar – helps businesses, institutions and developers harness these breakthroughs and capitalize on this major turning point in the evolution of money and technology.
What you’ll be part of:
Circle is committed to visibility and stability in everything we do. As we grow as an organization, we're expanding into some of the world's strongest jurisdictions. Speed and efficiency are motivators for our success and our employees live by our company values: Multistakeholder, Mindfulness, Driven by Excellence and High Integrity. Circlers are consistently evolving in a remote world where strength in numbers fuels team success. We have built a flexible and diverse work environment where new ideas are encouraged and everyone is a stakeholder.
What you’ll be responsible for:
Circle is looking for an experienced IT Internal Controls and SOX Compliance Manager. Reporting to the VP of Internal Controls and SOX Compliance this person will fill a newly created role at the company as part of our public company readiness, defining robust controls and processes, implementing a control repository and establishing a best practice monitoring and review process to mitigate risk and ensure SOX compliance during the next phase of the company's rapid growth.
What you'll work on:
- Conducting SOX Scoping for inhouse developed, purchased or external IT systems and service providers.
- Supporting and creating SOX ready documentation including narratives, flow charts, control descriptions, etc.
- Designing and identifying key controls for IT systems and applications that impact financial reporting for the company.
- Conducting periodic reviews to ensure application controls and Segregation of Duties (SOD) are configured across the company’s systems.
- Developing and leading the company-wide repeatable process for both 302 and 404 assertions and reporting.
- Working in tandem with the internal audit group to design testing programs to ensure appropriate SOX assertions can be made.
- Supporting evaluation of third-party service providers for SOC reports.
- Reviewing and designing appropriate internal controls for completeness and accuracy of reports and IPE.
- Project managing control design for new products, processes and system implementation launches and ensuring appropriate internal controls are in place prior to launch.
- Managing the Audit Board SOX repository.
- Reviewing, assessing, and evaluating reported control deficiencies, root causes, and planned corrective actions in conjunction with IT and business process owners.
- Leading the company wide training of process and control owners and related functions with respect to internal controls and SOX compliance.
- Playing a key role in annual and semiannual risk assessment.
- Working with internal and external auditors to coordinate IT General Controls and automated controls testing, and process walkthroughs to streamline impact on the business and align test results and yield efficiencies.
- Working closely with the IT, Security, Engineering, Data and Compliance teams to ensure IT General Control documentation and monitoring programs are consistent with SOX requirements.
- Preparing materials and SOX compliance findings and assertions for Leadership and Audit Committee meetings.
- Seeking to continuously improve the SOX program to become more efficient and effective through optimization and automation.
You will aspire to our four core values:
- Multistakeholder - you have dedication and commitment to our customers, shareholders, employees and families and local communities.
- Mindful - you seek to be respectful, an active listener and to pay attention to detail.
- Driven by Excellence - you are driven by our mission and our passion for customer success which means you relentlessly pursue excellence, that you do not tolerate mediocrity and you work intensely to achieve your goals.
- High Integrity - you seek open and honest communication, and you hold yourself to very high moral and ethical standards. You reject manipulation, dishonesty and intolerance.
What you’ll bring to Circle:
- 7+ years of experience, ideally with Big 4 and public company experience working on SOX compliance.
- Experience working in a rapid growth environment in financial services, payments or technology companies.
- Experience in crypto and digital assets industry is strongly preferred.
- CPA and CIA/CISA or equivalent required.
- Practical and deep knowledge of US GAAP, SOX and COSO.
- Previous experience implementing GRC and AuditBoard or similar tool.
- An organized, detailed, proactive, self-motivated, and collaborative work style.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to work cross functionally and adapt to change are extremely important.
- Ability to prioritize workloads and ensure deadlines are consistently met.
- High integrity and ability to handle confidential information.
- Experience/familiarity with Slack, Apple MacOS and GSuite.
- This position is eligible for day-one PERM sponsorship for qualified candidates.
Circle is on a mission to create an inclusive financial future, with transparency at our core. We consider a wide variety of elements when crafting our compensation ranges and total compensation packages.
Actual starting pay is determined by various factors, including but not limited to: relevant experience, skill set, qualifications, and other business and organizational needs. Please note that compensation ranges may differ for candidates in other locations.
Base Pay Range: $140,000 - $185,000
Annual Bonus Target: 15%
Also Included: Equity & Benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)). Circle has a discretionary vacation policy. We also provide 10 days of paid sick leave per year and 11 paid holidays per year in the U.S.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Additionally, Circle participates in the E-Verify Program in certain locations, as required by law.