Manager, Software Engineering
Circle is a global financial technology firm that enables businesses of all sizes to harness the power of digital currency and public blockchains for payments, commerce and financial applications worldwide. Circle platforms and products provide a suite of internet-native financial services for payments, treasury infrastructure and capital formation. Circle is also a principal developer of USD Coin (USDC), which has become the fastest growing dollar digital currency in the world. USDC has grown to over 44+ billion in circulation and supported over $1.7+ trillion in transactions in the past year. Circle’s payments and treasury infrastructure services available through the Circle Account and APIs helps bridge the legacy financial system and digital currency and blockchain based finance. Combined, Circle’s suite of services helps companies to participate in a more open, global and inclusive financial system.
What you’ll be part of:
With the mission “To raise global economic prosperity through the frictionless exchange of value,” Circle was founded on the belief that the internet, blockchains and digital currency will rewire the global economic system, creating a fundamentally more open, inclusive, efficient and integrated world economy. We envision a global economy where people and businesses everywhere can more freely connect and transact with each other with new technologies for digital money and internet-native finance. We believe such a system can raise prosperity for people and companies everywhere. Our mission is powered by the values we espouse and which we expect all Circlers to respect. We are Multistakeholder, serving the needs of our customers, our shareholders, our employees and families, our local communities and our world. Furthermore, we are also Mindful, Driven by Excellence, and High Integrity.
Engineering at Circle:
In 2020, Circle unveiled Circle APIs: a set of solutions and smarter technology to help businesses accept payments in a more global, scalable and efficient alternative to traditional banking rails (spoiler: we're using USD Coin under the hood).
In 2021, Circle launched Circle Account and Verite to help our users earn, manage, and secure their funds. We built foundational industry partnerships which grew USDC market cap by 10x+. To broaden the utility of USDC, we also added support for digital dollars on 6 new blockchains: SOL, XLM, HBAR, TRX, AVAX, FLOW.
Over the next year, we will continue to grow USD Coin and the Circle API platform to become the #1 US dollar stablecoin of the world by building, scaling and partnering with both web2 and web3 ecosystems. Expect to see product announcements and launches for L1, L2, DEFI, and Identity solutions!
You will aspire to our four core values:
- Multistakeholder - you have dedication and commitment to our customers, shareholders, employees and families and local communities.
- Mindful - you seek to be respectful, an active listener and to pay attention to detail.
- Driven by Excellence - you are driven by our mission and our passion for customer success which means you relentlessly pursue excellence, that you do not tolerate mediocrity and you work intensely to achieve your goals.
- High Integrity - you seek open and honest communication, and you hold yourself to very high moral and ethical standards. You reject manipulation, dishonesty and intolerance.
Your team is responsible for:
As a senior leader on the Circle Platform Services team, you will manage teams that build and own scalable microservices that are responsible for reliable and secure APIs that transfer value & assets across all blockchain protocols (think Bitcoin and Ethereum, for example) as well as traditional banking protocols (think credit cards, bank transfers etc).
What you'll work on:
- Run day-to-day activities of a dynamic engineering teams, including requirements grooming, scrums, retrospectives and team outings
- Design, build, and maintain APIs, user-facing experiences, services, and systems.
- Provide technical and architectural direction for the development, design, integration, testing, and maintenance of our platform
- Lead agile software processes for engineering teams and introduce best-in-class industry practices
- Partner with stakeholders to ensure the teams' contributions align with company objectives, develop technology roadmaps and set realistic product release schedules
- Perform full lifecycle of team management to attract, engage, retain, coach and performance manage teams of exceptional engineers (e.g., mentoring, recruiting, training and development, performance evaluation)
- Act as an internal ambassador for the engineering team to other groups, communicating the opportunities and constraints technology offers to the development of projects
- Manage technical debt to ensure our development velocity stays responsive and predictable while minimizing production incidents of our operations
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Circle's engineering management team
- Coordinate the execution of these activities working with cross-functional teams within Circle
What you'll bring to Circle:
- 3 or more years of experience with technical leadership
- 5 or more years of experience with software engineering
- Hands on technical manager experienced in designing, building and deploying secure, scalable products and services
- You love the idea of coaching and building leaders (both within your direct team and outside of your team)
- You have a passion for enabling and motivating people to do their best work
- You work very well cross-functionally, and are able to think rigorously and make hard decisions and tradeoffs
- You have experience managing remote teams
- The ability to thrive on a fast pace environment with high level of autonomy and responsibilities
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Additionally, Circle participates in the E-Verify Program in certain locations, as required by law.
Something looks off?