Ireland Chief Risk Officer and Senior Manager of International Enterprise Risk Management
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
The Ireland Chief Risk Officer and International Enterprise Risk Management Senior Manager will primarily be responsible for (1) administering and executing the risk management program for CB Ireland and (2) supporting broader Coinbase Enterprise Risk Management initiatives. In this role, the Senior Manager will work with risk partners and stakeholders from across the firm to align the CB Ireland risk management program to the broader ERM Framework and build out core risk management functions (e.g., risk identification, incident tracking, risk reporting) for the Irish legal entity.
The ideal candidate is a collaborative, detailed oriented leader who will leverage their experience to successfully develop the CB Ireland risk management program. This role will work under the general supervision of the Head of Regulatory Compliance and Enterprise Risk Management and will be a dotted line report to the CB Ireland Country Director.
This is a Central Bank of Ireland Pre-Approved Control Function (PCF-14) and applicants must be confident of meeting the applicable standards of the CBI’s Fitness and Probity regime.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Develop, implement, and maintain appropriate risk programs for Coinbase Ireland in line with all relevant regulatory guidelines
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders (e.g., CB Ireland management, Internal Audit, regulators, external auditors) to ensure appropriate levels of accountability and transparency and oversee the CB Ireland risk program to ensure alignment with the ERM Framework
- Work with the Senior Management team and provide independent assurance on the key operational risks of the business including the development of robust business continuity plans and provide on-going assurance that these plans are adequate, partnering the business to address any identified gaps
- Execute additional core risk management functions, including risk identification and escalation, incident management, and executive level reporting for Coinbase Ireland’s current and proposed future business activities including new products, new business relationships and customer operations
- Report to Senior Management and the Board, at least quarterly on items including the Risk Register, material risk incidents and the status of any outstanding action plans
- Serve as the primary risk point of contact for front line CB Ireland business teams and deliver risk subject matter expertise as needed
- Provide early warning, guidance and advice to the Head of Regulatory Compliance and ERM on international regulatory developments and best practices concerning risk management and risk programs in Ireland
- Perform deep dive analysis of the current international risk operating model and develop recommendations to strengthen CB Ireland’s risk management function
- Support ERM programs and initiatives by providing input, advice, and feedback on the development of the ERM Program and Framework
- Special projects or other ad hoc work as may be needed
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- 8+ years experience in a risk management in financial services
- In depth knowledge of core risk management principles (e.g, risk governance, 3 lines of defense model), experience with building out risk programs at varying maturity levels
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in executing core risk processes
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with business partners, superiors, and subordinates
- Ability to summarize findings and prepare recommendations that effectively communicate gaps, trends, patterns, and relevant information to a senior/executive-level audience (e.g., CB Ireland Board)
- Strong organization, project and time management skills with ability to plan and prioritize workload; ability to multitask and meet deadlines with quality product
- Manage several tasks at once and work effectively as an individual and as part of a team
Nice to haves:
- Master’s Degree preferred
- Knowledge and experience with RSA Archer a plus
- Crypto forward - strong knowledge of emerging crypto trends
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.
Something looks off?