Senior Counsel, Asset Management
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Help build the future of crypto with the Institutional Legal team, which provides comprehensive legal advice to our institutional product and sales teams on a full range of regulatory, transactional and product matters and across a spectrum of products and asset classes. Our team is seeking a creative, motivated and experienced legal counsel to join our team to help build our asset management business in the US and globally. The position would entail advising on sensitive and complex legal, regulatory and compliance state, federal and international issues. Lawyers with prior experience–particularly law firm or in-house experience–developing and advising on novel fund structures, separately managed accounts, structured products, and various other funds are encouraged to apply.
What you’ll be doing:
- You will be partnering with our asset management business to tackle US and global legal, regulatory and compliance issues on a range of asset classes.
- We are builders–as a product lawyer, you help enable the business with proactive strategic legal advice on all aspects of our business–from product ideation, to management of regulatory examinations, to commercial and transaction legal matters, among others. Quick thinking, creativity and familiarity with the law is key.
- Your position will require active and regular communication–in writing and verbally–with a range of audiences (legal, outside counsel, regulators, clients, etc.) and in a number of forums (contract negotiations, executive presentations, informal client development meetings, regulatory exams and presentations, etc.). The ability to navigate intern-departmental and interpersonal professional relationships will be critical.
What we look for in you:
- Investment management background, i.e., RIA, CPO, CTA, CIMA, and alternative assets experience (preferably crypto) at a combination of law firms, asset managers, and regulators (preferably the SEC or CFTC).
- Knowledge of and experience with the Securities Act of 1933, Securities Exchange Act of 1934, Investment Company Act of 1940, Investment Advisers Act of 1940, and Commodity Exchange Act.
- Experience with private funds, separately managed accounts, negotiating investment management agreements, side letters, brokerage agreements, service provider due diligence, private credit, reverse solicitation, private placement memoranda, subscription agreements, Reg. D / Reg. S offerings, and other cross border transactions
Nice to haves:
- Experience advising broker-dealers, futures commission merchants, swap dealers, alternative trading systems, swap execution facilities, money transmitters, or BitLicensees
Position ID: P54501
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please complete this intake form to let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.