Staff Smart Contract Engineer
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Base’s mission is to build a global onchain economy that increases innovation, creativity, and economic freedom.
We believe that the onchain platform is the most important builder platform since the internet (“online”). We believe that the onchain platform should be open source, free to use, and globally available. And we believe that in order to make it really work, we need all hands on deck, working together to scale in a secure, decentralized, easy-to-use way.
Base is incubated within Coinbase and plans to progressively decentralize in the years ahead. We believe that decentralization is critical to creating an open, global crypto economy that is accessible to everyone.
Base is built on Optimism’s open-source OP Stack. We’re joining as the second Core Dev team working on the OP Stack to ensure it’s a public good available to everyone; and contributing a portion of sequencer revenue to funding public goods.
We are looking for a Staff Smart Contract Engineer to join the Base team and lead all Smart Contract engineering, enabling and accelerating the success of Base. You’ll be working with us as a Core Dev on the open-source OP Stack, which will power the next generation of onchain activity through the Superchain. In addition to direct protocol and smart contract work, you’ll be helping define Coinbase’s path to having a world-class smart contract engineering competency.
What you'll do:
- Architect and build secure smart contract protocols and backend services to connect Coinbase users with the crypto ecosystem
- Drive standardization in crypto protocols by designing and defining interfaces and standards
- Work closely with the Base leadership and product team to set our onchain strategy and roadmaps
- Mentor and train other team members and teams on smart contract engineering best practices
What we look for in you:
- 3+ year Experience with Solidity and smart contract development
- 5+ year Experience with backend/client side development
- Deep understanding of smart contract best practices and current industry patterns
- You’ve brought multiple protocols from 0 through audit to production, and seen iterations and success of your projects
- You have strong opinions (loosely held) on current developments in the Ethereum technical roadmap - including account abstraction and rollup architectures
- Interest and passion for contributing to the crypto ecosystem
Nice to haves:
- Experience with Go
- Experience with zero-knowledge technology
- Contributions to open source crypto projects
Job #: GSCE06NA
Pay Transparency Notice: The target annual salary for this position can range as detailed below. Full time offers from Coinbase also include target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, and vision).
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please complete this intake form to let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.