Staff Accountant, Subscription & Services Revenue
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase is looking for a highly motivated accounting professional to join our Subscriptions and Services Revenue Accounting team and play a key role in our continued growth and achievement of operational excellence. The Staff Accountant must possess strong accounting and operational expertise, an ability to communicate and work with various teams outside of Finance (such as Data, Coverage, Business Development and M&A), and a desire to make a meaningful impact on a dynamic, high-growth technology company.
Reporting to the Manager, Subscription & Services Revenue, the Staff Accountant will work with various cross functional teams within the Company and requires someone with impeccable attention to detail, a financial and analytic mindset and knowledge of billing and revenue recognition. This position will impact a rapidly growing organization and offers career development opportunities for the right candidate.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Perform monthly close activities for Subscription & Services Revenue (existing and future expansion)
- Partner with Product, Engineering and other Finance teams to understand new business models related to Coinbase Cloud and Custody revenue streams, and assist with design and implementation of scalable finance operational processes and systems to support the business.
- Have ownership and accountability for accuracy, timeliness, effectiveness and efficiency of certain processes related to revenue including review of contracts, accounting policies and memos, month-end close, deferred revenue, gross-to-net contra-revenue accruals, accounts receivable, and balance sheet reconciliations.
- Responsible for assisting with monthly invoicing and related collections of Subscription & Services billings
- Assist with establishing, implementing and managing certain global processes for the accounting of Subscription & Services Revenue, ensuring SOX compliance and operational excellence.
- Assist with the preparation of quarterly audit schedules and prepare periodic revenue and deferred revenue reports to support internal and external reporting requirements
- Assist with implementing and documenting processes and procedures as required including Sarbanes Oxley compliance
- Support and participate on revenue related projects and M&A activity
- Perform special, ad-hoc projects in Accounting/Finance as requested
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Minimum of 3 years working in public accounting or in the fintech/financial services industries
- BA/BS in Accounting or related field / CPA highly preferred
- Understanding of ASC 606 Revenue Recognition
- Possess excellent analytical skills (MS Excel/ G-Suite), business partnering, problem solving and prioritization skills
- Able to work well in a dynamic environment and be able to recommend and implement process improvements, work autonomously and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong work ethic and team player
Nice to haves:
- Experience with customer service
- Experience working in Netsuite, FloQast and G-Suite
- Basic knowledge of blockchain technology and the crypto economy
- Experience working remotely
Pay Transparency Notice: Depending on your work location, the target annual salary for this position can range from $96,475-$113,500 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.
Something looks off?