Head of Trading and Market Compliance
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2023
Building the Internet of Money
Our Krakenites are a world-class team with crypto conviction, united by our desire to discover and unlock the potential of crypto and blockchain technology.
What makes us different? Kraken is a mission-focused company rooted in crypto values. As a Krakenite, you’ll join us on our mission to accelerate the adoption of cryptocurrency so the world can achieve financial freedom and inclusion. For over a decade, Kraken’s focus on our mission and crypto ethos has attracted many of the most talented crypto experts in the world.
Before you apply, please read the Kraken Culture Explained to learn more about our internal culture, values, and mission.
As a fully remote company, we have Krakenites in 60+ countries who speak over 50 languages. Krakenites are industry pioneers who have a long track record of building premium products for professionals and institutions as well as newcomers to the space. Kraken is committed to industry-leading security through our products like Kraken Pro, Kraken NFT, and Cryptowatch, with a focus on world-class customer support and crypto education for all.
Become a Krakenite and build the internet of money!
Proof of work
The successful candidate will lead globally on Compliance coverage for Kraken’s Trading and Markets product vertical including OTC, Proprietary Trading and Treasury operations. The person will lead our Trading and Markets regulatory and compliance efforts as a strategic advisor to the business and cross-functional teams to oversee and help to develop new products and services, as well as to maintain a risk control framework that covers digital and traditional assets. You will help to steer the business to bring products to market and navigate evolving crypto and traditional finance laws and regulations.
- Trading Markets Advisor: Provide creative compliance advisory support and guidance to the OTC, Proprietary Trading, Treasury and Risk Desks on new and existing regulations and rules, best practices and compliance with internal procedures and directives.
- Product Development: Act as a trusted senior thought partner to Product, Design, Engineering and Markets teams to assist them to structure and launch products and services that advance Kraken’s mission in compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Provide creative assistance to implement risk management recommendations;
- Support product development lifecycle using a systematic framework to advance business goals while structuring and overseeing compliant solutions.
- Regulatory Risk Management: Maintain communication with the OTC, Proprietary Trading and Risk Desks to advance business objectives while identifying, assessing and mitigating compliance risks and issues.
- Controls Oversight: Provide oversight of and implement scalable controls leveraging technology including information barriers, transaction surveillance, conflicts of interest, personal dealing and risk management.
- Policy & Procedure Management: Design and implement manuals, policies and supervisory procedures to ensure that controls are operationally effective;
- Risk Assessment & Training: Assist the corporate compliance team with carrying out risk assessments and regulatory reviews including inquiries, audits and exams as well as the design and delivery of training.
- Governance: Maintain governance including the asset listing framework, a knowledge management library, conducting training support.
Skills you should HODL
- 5-7 years Markets compliance experience (sales and trading / Prop Desk / Hedge Fund)
- Significant experience in a previous regulatory or compliance managerial position at a crypto, banking, trading, payments, or fintech institution, hyper-growth fintech a plus
- Experience implementing markets and traditional finance rules in the EU and US (eg MiFID, EMIR, MAR, SEC, Dodd Frank, CFTC)
- Significant European crypto regulatory experience is a strong plus including in relation to MiCAR and virtual asset service provider licensing/registrations
- Experience in crypto, cash products, loans, derivatives a strong plus
- Experience managing complex, global compliance projects
- Demonstrated ability to effectively analyze risk and apply sound judgment in a timely manner
- Practical knowledge of compliance risk management techniques
- Proactive, strategic, comfortable with navigating ambiguity, bias for action
- Demonstrated success in scaling operational processes leveraging technology a plus
- Executive presence and compliance team leadership
- Strategic financial crimes and markets compliance experience is important
- Executive level presentation abilities, both verbally and using various media
- Experience and/or passion for crypto preferred
Location Tagging: #EU #US
Kraken is powered by people from around the world and we celebrate all Krakenites for their diverse talents, backgrounds, contributions and unique perspectives. We hire strictly based on merit, meaning we seek out the candidates with the right abilities, knowledge, and skills considered the most suitable for the job. We encourage you to apply for roles where you don't fully meet the listed requirements, especially if you're passionate or knowledgable about crypto!
As an equal opportunity employer, we don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind. Whether that’s based on race, ethnicity, age, gender identity, citizenship, religion, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state or local laws.
Stay in the know
See more open positions at Kraken
Something looks off?