Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2023
At Matter Labs, we believe freedom drives progress and prosperity. We don’t see ourselves as a company, but as a team aligned around a single mission: to advance personal freedom for all (see ZK Credo).
To achieve this goal, we’re building zkSync — a credibly neutral, fully open source technology stack and network on top of Ethereum, which is owned and governed by its community. We use advanced cryptography called zero-knowledge proofs to scale Ethereum infinitely without compromising on security or decentralization. With a world-class team, a community of over 1M supporters across Twitter + Discord, and hundreds of millions $ in funding, we have abundant resources to accomplish the mission.
We are seeking accomplished Research Engineers with a strong background in computer science to join our growing Research Team. As a Research Engineer, you will be responsible for working on various aspects of the complex system that Matter Labs is building, including security, performance, networking, hardware, programming languages, program correctness, and various aspects of applied cryptography related to zero-knowledge proofs.
You will be expected to have a strong interest in one of the areas listed above, as well as connections to both the academic community and industrial practice. While a PhD is preferred, it is not required.
What You'll Be Doing
- We expect you to work with both research scientists as well as with engineers and engineering managers to get what you produce deployed
- We expect you to be a member of the academic community and to read and possibly write papers, go to relevant conferences and workshops, etc., in order to stay abreast of the most recent developments as they happen
What We Look For in You
- A Masters or PhD in a relevant field such as Computer Science or related discipline is preferred
- Experience in one (or more) of the following areas: performance (distributed systems, language runtimes, networking stack), security, verification, cryptography and/or machine learning
- Ability to produce code that leads to industrial deployment
- In-depth knowledge of common algorithms, data structures, and their computational & memory complexities
- Applying scientific and engineering principles to the development of our products, technologies, and processes
- Experience in cryptography / high-load / protocols design will be a big advantage
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- English is your native language or you are completely fluent
Working at Matter Labs
At Matter Labs, you have the freedom to work how you want, when you want, and from where you want. All positions are 100% remote (with optional travel to team and/or industry events). We operate in lean and nimble teams, with no time tracking and minimum bureaucracy. We move fast. Only results matter. We will provide you with everything you need to learn, grow, and be productive.
Our results-only environment means anyone who believes in our mission can join us, regardless of background, sexual orientation, race, gender, and age. Both our team and community are made up of people from diverse backgrounds. That's why, out of politeness and respect, we refrain from opinions on politics, religion, or sex at the workplace.
We designed our culture around the tenants of freedom and ownership. This ethos will underpin our positive-sum community as we evolve toward full decentralization.
If this role resonates with you, apply now for prompt feedback.
Read more about working at Matter Labs here.
Important: We are remote-first, operating in the timezones between UTC-5 (Latam and Atlantic Coast) to UTC+7 (South-East Asia). While we’re currently not hiring in the US, we do consider US-based applicants willing to relocate.