Senior Operating System Engineer
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2023
At Matter Labs, we believe freedom drives progress and prosperity. We don’t see ourselves as a company, but as a team aligned around a single mission: to advance personal freedom for all (see ZK Credo).
To achieve this goal, we’re building zkSync — a credibly neutral, fully open source technology stack and network on top of Ethereum, which is owned and governed by its community. We use advanced cryptography called zero-knowledge proofs to scale Ethereum infinitely without compromising on security or decentralization. With a world-class team, a community of over 1M supporters across Twitter + Discord, and hundreds of millions $ in funding, we have abundant resources to accomplish the mission.
We are seeking a highly skilled and innovative Senior Operating System Engineer to join our zkOS Development Team. This role is pivotal in the development of our next-generation proof system and virtual machine, specifically focusing on the implementation of a provable RISC-V 32I+M CPU for Ethereum zkRollups/L2s/Hyperchains.
What You'll Be Doing
- Designing and implementing a compact and efficient finite state machine (FSM) for blockchain use cases, including state transitions, application of individual transactions/blocks and post-processing activities.
- Developing an OS-like program and sub-VMs for executing both trusted and untrusted bytecode, including future capabilities for untrusted native code.
- Engaging in both operating system engineering and embedded development within the constraints of a system akin to, but smaller than, the Linux kernel.
- Utilizing Rust for implementation, potentially exploring formally verifiable subsets of the language.
- Working at the intersection of OS engineering, embedded development, and full system design based on FSM principles.
- Conducting independent research, design, implementation, documentation of solutions, and potentially leading a team in these efforts.
What We Look For In You
- Note: This is a challenging task as we do not require a candidate to have experience in everything we list below. We encourage engineers with different backgrounds to apply as multiple people are required for this project.
- Relevant experience in OS development and/or embedded system design.
- A strong foundation in strongly typed languages (proficiency with Rust is a bonus).
- Background in blockchain execution layer design or familiarity with blockchain technologies and concepts.
- Experience in designing and implementing software solutions from scratch.
- Creativity and adaptability in solving complex problems, particularly in a blockchain context.
- Commitment to producing high-quality, efficient, and scalable software solutions.
- Strong problem-solving skills, with an ability to grasp and work with new technologies quickly.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in software engineering, with a focus on OS and embedded systems.
Working at Matter Labs
At Matter Labs, you have the freedom to work how you want, when you want, and from where you want. All positions are 100% remote (with optional travel to team and/or industry events). We operate in lean and nimble teams, with no time tracking and minimum bureaucracy. We move fast. Only results matter. We will provide you with everything you need to learn, grow, and be productive.
Our results-only environment means anyone who believes in our mission can join us, regardless of background, sexual orientation, race, gender, and age. Both our team and community are made up of people from diverse backgrounds. That's why, out of politeness and respect, we refrain from opinions on politics, religion, or sex at the workplace.
We designed our culture around the tenants of freedom and ownership. This ethos will underpin our positive-sum community as we evolve toward full decentralization.
If this role resonates with you, apply now for prompt feedback.
Read more about working at Matter Labs here.
Important: We are remote-first, operating in the timezones between UTC-5 (Latam and Atlantic Coast) to UTC+7 (South-East Asia).
To all recruitment agencies: Matter Labs does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Matter Labs employees, or any other organisation location. Matter Labs is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Read our full policy here.