VP of Software Engineering
Seattle, WA, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 3, 2023
We're on a mission to transform the internet for the better. Our team of innovative hackers, visionary futurists, and passionate nerds is devoted to creating a digital space that's safe, inclusive, and empowers everyone. By developing the world's first zero-knowledge virtual machine, we've laid the groundwork for running arbitrary code as a zero-knowledge proof. Now, we're ambitiously constructing an entire ecosystem around this groundbreaking technology.
To ensure effective collaboration and seamless communication across our global team, all candidates must be available to overlap with the Pacific Standard Time (PST) zone for at least 3 hours during regular business hours. This requirement is essential for maintaining efficient workflow, participating in team meetings, and facilitating timely responses to customer inquiries and internal requests.
About the role:
As VP of Software Engineering, you will be tasked with managing and mentoring our engineering team of ICs, Technical Leads, and Managers of a dozen and growing while helping to evolve our organizational culture into a more supportive, innovative work environment. A crucial part of your role will be fostering a "one team, one roadmap" philosophy, working hand-in-hand with Product and Growth teams to create a unified vision and direction for our projects. You will also focus on coaching and development, empowering each team member to reach their full potential while ensuring our customer-focused objectives are always at the forefront.
- Team Leadership: Provide mentorship and guidance to the engineering team members, fostering a positive work environment that encourages collaboration and open communication.
- Strategic Planning: Develop and implement a strategic plan for the growth and development of the engineering organization, taking into account future hiring needs, project demands, and skill gaps.
- Team Development: Create individual development plans for engineers to grow in their technical and interpersonal skills, fostering a learning-centric environment.
- Culture Building: Advocate for a positive, inclusive, and equitable culture within the organization, ensuring everyone feels valued and their contributions matter.
- Performance Management: Develop Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to measure the team's success and guide their future growth.
- Partnership: Work hand-in-hand with Product and Growth teams to maintain one team, one roadmap philosophy. Ensure that all projects, whether feature work or technical investments are seen as a joint responsibility, maintaining team focus on the most impactful initiatives.
Ideal Candidate Qualities:
- 🔒 Authenticity: Demonstrates ethical leadership, honesty, and transparency in all interactions.
- 💖 Empathy: Shows understanding and concern for the well-being of team members, demonstrating a humane orientation to leadership.
- 🌟 Resilience: Demonstrates positivity and resilience in the face of challenges, providing inspiration and motivation to the team.
- 🌱 Growth Mindset: Encourages continuous learning and personal development within the team, focusing on the human dynamic and the unique needs and strengths of all stakeholders.
- 🎯 Strategic Thinking: Exhibits the ability to think strategically and act decisively, balancing immediate needs with long-term goals.
- 🌍 Inclusive Leadership: Champions diversity and inclusion, promoting equitable opportunities and treatment for all team members.
- 🤝 Collaborative: Excels at breaking down silos and creating a "one team, one roadmap" culture. Has a strong ability to facilitate productive relationships across teams.
- Proven experience in a senior leadership role within an engineering team, preferably in a startup environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proficiency in software development methodologies and best practices.
The VP of Software Engineering role is more than just a leadership position. It's an opportunity to foster a culture of excellence, empathy, and growth within our engineering team. If you're a leader who is as dedicated to people development as you are to building great software, we'd love to hear from you.
What we offer:
- Salary: $330,000/yr
- This role is remote with the ability to travel up to 20% for team ‘onsite’ meetings.
- We have an Industrious co-working space in Seattle, with the flexibility to rent in other locations.
- Health insurance: Premera Blue Cross (medical dental, vision, HSA) 85% premium coverage for employees, 75% for dependants.
- Generous company equity: 9,500 shares annually, vesting immediately each month.
- Paid time off: Unlimited (3-5 weeks is the norm)
- 11 paid holidays, sick leave, etc.
- A supportive and collaborative work environment.
- Leadership Coaching and opportunities for professional growth, learning, and development.
Our Commitment to Inclusion: We are equal opportunity and value diversity. We do not discriminate. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.